So what do you do with a bunch of quinces? Jam doesn’t quite work. After a little research, it seems that quince is the main ingredient in membrillo – a Spanish spread that goes well with cheese and red wine. And it’s easy!
- 4 Quinces, peeled, cored and chopped
- Sugar, to be determined
- Place quince in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and cook 30 minutes, or until fruit is soft. Drain.
- Process fruit until smooth. Add equal amount of sugar and combine.
- Cook over low heat until paste thickens and quince has turned a deep orange color (60-90 minutes).
- Spread evenly on a parchment paper lined rimmed pan. Place in a low oven (125F) for one hour.
- To serve (with cheese) – cut in small wedges.
This goes great with our Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and our Russian River Valley Zinfandel!